Saturday, September 12, 2009

Don't Understand Everything? Don't Worry!

I am writing this post from a beginner's perspective.

Have you ever gone to a talk, especially about real estate, and it seemed like you didn't understand everything?

I can't speak for anyone else, but this happens to me a lot.

Last Thursday evening, I went to the Oakland REIA. It covered real estate-releated legal updates and advice. A lot of people were saying how great this talk was, and it probably was. However, I could not take advantage of everything she was saying.

So did I waste my time? Other people may disagree, but I say, "NO!"

Why?

Because I understood about 30% of it, I was discouraged, at first. Then I realized that most of what little I understood on Thursday, I would not have understood AT ALL a year ago. Even if you don't know everything, you can learn things an managable increments, little by little. It accumulates quickly.

Plus, it gives me an opportunity to write down a couple of things to look up later. I may not understand during the talk, but I know something that I have to learn. I can learn it at my pace. Even if I don't understand it today, the next time I hear something about it, I will be in a better position to receive that same or similar info.

Lastly, I love meeting people at these events. You get a chance to learn their insights and experiences. Plus, the better people are there to encourage you. One person, in particular, just told me, "Just start." Obviously, you should do your due dilligence before making ANY investment, but it gives me hope that real estate is less complicated than my beginner's mindset might be making it.

So go to as many talks and talk to as many people in the field as you can. You might not understand everything, but you still can get something from it. More importantly, it will accelerate your learning--meaning that it puts you closer to your goal more quickly.

No comments: